We are so pleased to announce that our Red Tigers had a very successful day at the Cumbrian Open in Penrith on Sunday 10th June. There was big pressure to deliver at this comp as we won a total of 27 medals last year. This year we manage to improve that total to 31! Onward and upward, congratulations everyone!
Our squad have been pushed hard week in, week out with Paul Wolstencroft Sensei, Mike Baron Sensei and Rob Head Sensei every Monday evening to prepare themselves to enter a few competitions. We sent a large squad to this open-style competition and we are so proud of each an every one of our team
For some, it was their first external tournament aimed at providing them with some valuable experience and the chance to see where their karate is up to when compared with others of a similar age and grade.
We would hope that win, lose or draw, all of our competitors have been inspired to train harder and continue to improve. That is what it is all about. Behind every winner was once a beginner who got beat at lots of comps but never gave up. The difference between the winners and the losers is just determination, learning from your mistakes and getting that all important mat time. Keep working hard, carry on believing in yourself and you can get there.
Congratulations to all 14 students who were brave enough to put their metal to the test, it can only make you stronger and better. We are proud of each and every one of you:
Lola Fellone, Kairo Fellone, Lewis Thomas, Greg and Phill Burton, Izzy Baron, Lola Girault, Kyle Girault, Ben Duckworth, Jaime Pratley, Jo Sysum, Courtneney Alty, Jaime Pratley and Su Matthews.
Between them, they managed 11 medals comprising of 1 gold, 4 silver and 6 bronze.
- Jo Sysum won a gold medal in individual veterans kumite and a bronze medal in team kumite
- Su Matthews won a silver medal in individual veterans kata, a silver medal in individual veterans kumite and a bronze medal in adults team kumite
- Izzy Baron won a silver medal in individual kata and a silver medal in individual kumite
- Greg Burton, Phill Burton and Lewis Thomas won bronze medals in team kumite
- Courteney Alty won a bronze medal in team kumite
We also had the following Red Tigers in action representing JKS England including Lori-Ann Moran, Grace Baron, Sam Jackson, Louis Johnson, Matthew Affleck, Molly Austin-Hogsden, Ron Matthews, Abby Fielding, Kevin Longthorne, Georgie Dyal, Ellis Pindoria-Stott and Zak Thomas-Blackhurst. They all did brilliantly and we are so proud of them for giving it a go.
Our JKS England squad members between them managed a great haul of 20 medals comprising of 1 gold, 6 silver and 13 bronze.
- Sam Jackson won a bronze medal pairs kata
- Ellis Pindoria-Stott won a gold medal in individual kata and a silver medal in pairs kata and a bronze medal in team kumite
- Grace Baron won a silver medal in individual kata, a silver medal in pairs kata a silver medal in team kata and a bronze medal in individual kumite.
- Louis Johnson won a bronze medal in pairs kata
- Zak Thomas-Blackhurst won a silver medal in pairs kata and a bronze medal in team kumite
- Matthew Affleck won a bronze medal in pairs kata
- Georgie Dyal won a bronze medal in team kumite
- Ron Matthews won a bronze medal in veterans kata, a bronze medal in veterans kumite and a bronze medal in team kumite
- Lori-Ann Moran won a bronze medal in individual kata and a bronze medal in pairs kata
- Molly Austin-Hogsden won a silver medal in pairs kata and a bronze medal in team kumite
Huge thank you to the coaches Paul Wolstencroft Sensei, Mike Baron Sensei and Rob Head Sensei who have put lots of hard work into the team and worked really hard all day to provide the students with support and advice. It is all much appreciated by everyone.
Thanks to Julie Moran for managing the squad and the team entries. You are a star!
Thanks to all the parents who attended and afford their children the opportunity to do this. We wouldn’t have such as successful team without your support.
Thanks goes to all who ran a great competition and Nick Heald Sensei who coached the England squad members.
For more feedback, photos and to congratulate our medals winners, there is loads to posts about this comp on our facebook group page. If you are not already a member you can request to join and our admin will accept you. Club members and their family members only.